The Global Game Jam has announced their diversifiers for 2014. These are not the theme, which will be announced Friday at the jam. These are optional additional things you can add to your game to help it stand out. Unlike the theme, we’re allowed to share these now. Have fun thinking about how you might explore them in a game.
- Back to the 1885. The game could have been built and played in the 19th century.
- Can You Come And Play? The game has a local multi-player mode.
- Design, Create, Play. All the content in the game is procedurally created, including graphics and sound.
- Hackontroller. The game must use a custom controller invented by the team, or use an existing controller in unconventional manner.
- Homo Sapiens are Boring. The game is meant to be played by cats.
- Honor Aaron Swartz. The game only uses materials found in the public domain.
- I am who I want to be. The game has characters, but nothing in their design suggests a gender.
- Inclusive. The game is specifically designed to be accessible to one or more groups of gamers with disabilities – vision, motor, hearing or cognitive impairments.
- Rebels Learns it Better. In this educational game a hidden learning path is provided for those who oppose the given rules.
- Round and Round. Rotation is one of the primary mechanics in the game.
- The Ultimate Bechdel Test Survivor. The game survives all three conditions of the Bechdel test.
- You Only Live Thrice. The player only has 3 lives and each level starts over when you die.
- You Say it! The game utilises audio produced by the player either recording or instructing player to make sounds.